Friday, January 25, 2008

buses, snow and boys and the virtues of dating 'up'

I am currently reading a book call 'Stiff - the curious lives of human cadavers'... the looks I get on the bus is priceless. No one has yet come up to start a conversation while I'm reading, but I can imagine that's because they would be evaluating my kookiness potential and figure it'd be relatively high.

Spent the past 2 weekends at Tahoe... I can REALLY snowboard now. Link turns down blue runs etc! I can REALLY ski now... as in turn down steep blue runs and even manage to jump a little. It goes without saying... I am REALLY broke now.

It snowed about 12in in 24 hrs last weekend - we had to shovel the car out of the snow. I mean, I didn't even know how to do that till friends (from Chicago) showed me. I started thinking whether I can live in the east... yeah, probably.

On the boys front... NYE guy is still around, and every so often sends me a txt to see whether I want to go out. I have suggested a few things, which he isn't totally keen on. Oh well...

Met with flatmates and friends last night for dinner... for the first 'Fortnightly Dinner Club'. I turns out that whilst most at the table is single, I was one of the few who was truly content with my current state.

I now figure some girls are just different. Some are totally into Jane Austen values still, and not realising that it takes a whole lot of work!! What I'm referring to is the idea of 'dating up' - as in Pride & Prejudice, Mum wanted all her girls to be better off etc.

OK, so I admit I like going out with guys who are - like me, in most part - confident, healthy, mentally stable and financially comfortable... but these guys just don't walk down the street and sweep you up in their arms. Whilst I'm not looking, at this point in time... I also don't see the need to whine & moan about their rarity.

To compensate, one particular friend is seeing a guy who sounds boring and ordinary... I wonder why she didn't do her homework before agreeing to go out with him. And AFTER working out that he is more boring than a bar of soap... she stuck by him for another couple of months. Come on girl - have some self worth and let the guy go!!

One girl at the table, however, did have the right idea - bad dates make great stories. Whilst we don't admit it, bad dates are exactly what girls get together to talk about.

I've been overwhelmed by speed dating companies in lead up to V Day (see previous blog site for how I was rejected by some dodgy company)... dodgy bastards.

Going to this 'Ivy League Plus' drinks this afternoon and pretending to be some foreign exchange student who went to Standford and did Philosophy. HA!

No comments: