Tuesday, October 28, 2008

hmmm HOW to tell a relative no...

A relative sent me a necklace for my birthday. Very nice, choker style, silver with cubic zirconia charm of a cross.

So I know people wear crosses a fashion accessory... but I've never been a fan and would really want to keep that symbol as a sign of church, religion etc. With the way the world is, I would rather not have to wear it and deal with people thinking 'gee I didn't know she's religious'. For heaven's sake half the things I do would point to NOT being so church choir girl!

As I didn't want to have that necklace on my shelf - I wrote back to my relative and said the above. Some people say it might have been less trouble to just keep it and not wear it. But why bother carting around stuff I don't want? At the end it'll end up in the Goodwill bin, or as a recycled gift to someone. Either way, that's not fair to the person who got it for me in the first place.

I have a suspicion my relative liked the necklace herself... that formed my decision to send it back. It's not being ungracious about gifts, but just being honest in that it did not fit into my own philosophy.

On the other hand I ought to have learnt to pick my battles better... eek.

No comments: