Friday, August 1, 2008

paddling

So the experiment with Underwater Hockey has ended... its not that I dislike the sport, but the team I got involved with was very clicky and not particularly interested in helping new players get up to speed. The fact that they send brand new bodies in for slaughter from game 2 was just brutal. Alas I DID play in a tourney, and we did make it to the playoff rounds. That's pretty good. One day I might go back.

Newest hobby is Dragon Boating. Suppose its something I've known about since I was maybe 5, but never had any inclination to try until B1 asked me to come with her one time. I loved it. It made sense to me and people are noticing that I 'got it' relatively quickly.

The best thing is that I am now crunching my abs for 1.5 hours twice a week - that's the paddling aspect. Surprised that it's a full body workout... the abs I knew, but the 'leg drive' used to exert strength, and the ability to hold your arms up (and steady) for long periods really helped. I really like it.

Anyhow... this weekend I'm paddling down white water. My last outing on the American River was a little dismal... have so done bigger rivers in Austria, Australia etc. Tour companies always hype things up too much in brochures and that was no exception. BUT... its my first time camping in quite awhile. J is coming with me and I guess, indirectly, meeting friends of mine for the first time, CANNOT WAIT.

Oh and I bought J shower curtains. He wasn't offended, or freaked out. Acutally he was super thankful, but a bit embaressed. I mean... he was punching extra holes in his current curtain to keep it on the rod!

No comments: