Thursday, March 27, 2008

in search of the Aussie meat pie

I was reading this week's newsletter from the American-Australian Chamber of Commerce, and realise just how much I missed a good ol Aussie meat pie.

I remember going into a pie shop at Soda Springs, CA and asked whether they had savory pies. They did, but only in the 12in side... and only in chicken and vegetable. Blah. I mean, I love chicken... but i want steak, onions, maybe bacon and cheese. You know, stuff that Four & Twenty makes.

In this week's AACC newsletter they had a special mention for Mojo Pies, which is an Arizona based co with a branch in Redondo Beach, CA (LA area). They also do mail order... charges at USD $3.15 p/pie, that roughly translates to what Shakespeare/ Jester Pies charges in Sydney.

In my quest for pies, I managed to locate another couple of pie shop/ bakeries that sells Aussie meat pies (single serve. None of that 12in business) in the US;

- The afore mentioned Mojo Pies in Redondo Beach, right on the PCH - they do mail order

- The Australian Meat Pie Co, in Washington State - they also do mail order

- Australian Bakery Cafe, Atlanta GA - it actually looks really good and I'd love to try it. But I'm not so sure about getting them to post meat pies cross county

- Crickey's Pies, Toledo OH - looks awesome on website but should we be drawing parallels between Perth and Ohio?? They like rugby, and i like them. They do not do mail order

Or... you can buy specially imported Four'n Twenty at severely inflated prices

Will let you know how they compare with taste.

2 comments:

Oscar said...

If you don't mind hanging out with kiwis, try "The New Zealander" http://www.the-newzealander.com/ in Alameda or up here in Vegas, there's the Crown & Anchor, an English Pub. Whole Foods (owned by Tesco) also sells frozen meat pies. But I haven't tried them yet so don't know if they're any good.

Unknown said...

I'm a Aussie citizen and was wondering if you decided which pie importer had the advantage on taste? I am deciding between importing from Australian Bakery Cafe OR Aussie Meat Pie Co. In Melbourne, Australia, I used to eat Fergusson Plarre meat pies...in Washington DC I'm absolutely without! Please help!